Demo version/license available on request
This is an Indie Houdini Digital Asset for creating Scales which will save you days of modelling /sculpting time.
An FX version might become available at later stage. Depends on interest and sales. If you are interested, do let me know ! My contact info is at the bottom.
- Smooth & Intuitive controls : draw / edit guides, control density, size and growth direction.
- Fast: GPU-accelerated: The relax and growth solvers are written in Opencl so the heavy lifting is done on your graphics card.
- Create Scale Types: Edit the shape of your scale type and link it to any existing guide.
- Layer based color editing: Add ramps, noises & masks. Blend layers , randomize by scale ID & distance to guides .
- Made by an artist, for artists :)
- Made with Houdini Indie , the HDA is in format .hdalc and black-boxed.
- Houdini 19.0- 19.5 ( previous version might work, untested)
- Tested in Educational/Apprentice, Indie, Core, Fx
- Works in Houdini Fx/Core but sessions will be downgraded.
Copy the downloaded HDA file to your Houdini otls folder.
For example : C:\Users\wout\Documents\houdini19.0\otls\
The node needs an an input to be unlocked, anything will do ( a null for example ) .
- Claiming / releasing a license requires internet connection.
By using the Scales HDA you agree to the following:
Subscriptions come with a supplementary use of the license to unlock the Scales HDA on a second computer/laptop, or to work in dual boot mode. The license is restricted to a single artist, who can only use the Scales HDA on one of these computers at a time.
Before you begin:
- Check the demo scenes for some examples.
- Check out the HUD / Info panel in the top left corner of the scene viewer:
- Check the input : The size of the input geometry matters. If you find that the guides are lacking in detail, your input geo is probably too small. If you find that you need a lot more growth iterations to close the gaps, the input geo is probably too big.
I have a ton of ideas for new features . These may or may not get added, it mostly depends on how sales go.
In no particular order:
- Hero scales ( draw custom scales around which the other scales grow )
- A paint mode to control density/size/direction/color..
- A magic button that analyzes the input geo and sets density/size/direction/ automatically. Curvature based for example.
- A layer stack like the existing color layer feature but for blending scale types
- Viewer state controls/improvements ( invert guides, multi selection, shortcuts for editing guide settings, symmetry mode, etc..)
- Ramp controlled guide falloffs
If you have any questions, remarks, bug reports or feature request, feel free to send me a mail or message on Discord:
Discord : Wout#9629
You can also post on the SideFX Forum in this thread: